Fans of Danish auteur Lars von Trier should not miss the upcoming Criterion re-release of Antichrist on DVD and BluRay.
Antichrist is the psychological horror film from 2009 that was highly controversial due to its religious themes. Here’s what Criterion says about their releases:
“Lars von Trier shook up the film world when he premiered Antichrist at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival. In this graphic psychodrama, a grief-stricken man and woman — a searing Willem Dafoe and Cannes best actress Charlotte Gainsbourg — retreat to a cabin deep in the woods after the accidental death of their infant son, only to find terror and violence at the hands of nature and, ultimately, each other. But this most confrontational work yet from one of contemporary cinema’s most controversial artists is no mere provocation. It is a visually sublime, emotionally ravaging journey to the darkest corners of the possessed human mind; a disturbing battle of the sexes that pits rational psychology against age-old superstition; and a profoundly effective horror film.”
Extras and features:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Lars von Trier and supervised by director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
- Audio commentary by von Trier and professor Murray Smith
- Video interviews with von Trier and actors Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg
- A collection of video pieces delving into the production of Antichrist, including interviews with von Trier and key members of his filmmaking team as well as behind-the-scenes footage
- Chaos Reigns at the Cannes Film Festival 2009; a documentary on the film’s world premiere, plus press interviews with Dafoe and Gainsbourg
- Three theatrical trailers
- A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Ian Christie
The releases will be available from all good DVD stores from November 9th.